Police Officer Recruitment
- U.S. Citizen
- At least 21 years old by April 1, 2019
- Have a valid photo identification (such as driver’s license)
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Completed an Employment Application (www.normal.org)
- If asked, can provide copy of birth certificate
- If asked, can provide copy of transcripts (high school, GED, college)
- If asked, can provide copy of diplomas (high school, GED, college)
- If asked, can provide copy of DD-214 Military Discharge Paperwork (if applicable)
- Must be eligible to be licensed as a Police Officer in the State of Illinois (50 ILCS 705/6 and 50 ILCS 705/6.1)
- Computers are available in the Human Resources Department in Uptown Station or at Bloomington and Normal Public Libraries for candidates to submit their applications.
- Paper copies of all Reading Comprehension study materials are available in the Human Resources Department in Uptown Station.
- Should a conditional offer of employment be extended, candidates must then successfully complete a comprehensive background check, comprehensive medical exam and comprehensive psychological exam.
- An applicant successfully completing all steps of the selection process will be placed into a hiring pool.
- The Normal Police Department has a personal grooming policy that restricts tattoos, body art and piercings, except for standard ear piercings, that are visible while in a department uniform.
- Step One
Complete employment application online by 5:00 pm January 28, 2019.
- Step Two
Within 48 hours of completing an application, an email will be generated to you directing you to register online for a written examination day/time that best fits your schedule. Paper copies of all study materials are available in Human Resources. Allot three hours for your written exam. Plan to arrive around 15 minutes early, and bring photo identification for admission to the test facility (Uptown Station, 11 Uptown Circle, 4th floor, Room 411). A minimum score of 70 is required on the written exam to continue in the selection process.
- Step Three
Upon successful completion of the written exam, the next step is to complete the Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) test on Saturday, February 16, 2019 at Heartland Community College Fitness Center. A test time will be assigned to you. This is a Pass/Fail exam, with components occurring both inside and outside regardless of weather conditions. Appropriate athletic shoes and clothing are recommended for this exam.
Applicants possessing a P.O.W.E.R Test certification card from Triton Junior College, Joliet Junior College or Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA), dated September 1, 2018 or more recent, can present this card with their application in lieu of taking the fitness exam.
- Step Four
Upon successfully passing the POWER test, you must register for a Personality Trait Screen. Screenings will be offered on February 19th and 20th, 2019. This evaluation is scored by an independent examiner. The estimated completion time is 3 – 6 hours. The exam will occur at the Normal Police Department Training Room, 100 E. Phoenix Avenue, Normal, IL 61761.
Candidates not invited to participate in Step Five will remain eligible for future consideration based on the employment needs of the Normal Police Department.
- Step Five
The candidates with the top 25-30 scores may be invited to continue on to Step Five for the following activities:
- Polygraph Exam
- Criminal Check
- Driver’s License Verification
- Panel Interview
- Comprehensive Background Check
Those candidates progressing to Step Five will be rated as Pass/Fail. Candidates may be removed from the selection process during this phase.
Police Officer Recruitment Process Summary (pdf)
Reading Comprehension Study Guide (pdf)
The Town of Normal is an equal opportunity employer.