Youth on A Mission
About Youth on A Mission
Youth on A Mission (YAM) is a Youth Advisory Council comprised of high school aged youth from Unit 5 school district and Illinois State University Lab Schools. The expectation of the Council is to provide an avenue to engage youth, provide leadership growth, and an opportunity to learn about municipal government. Youth on A Mission will engage in activities like community service, lobbying, and strategic planning. There are twelve sessions in a program year, which runs from September to April.
Students from Normal Community High School, Normal Community West High School, and University High School are eligible to apply. Students must have at least 2.25 GPA or higher to participate.
There is no cost for a student to participate. In lieu of paying for the program, we ask each student to:
1) Be in attendance and engaged.
2) Agree to participate in the YAM fundraiser.
3) Must participate in 9 sessions. The participant cannot miss no more than two (2) sessions.
The online application is now available. Completed applications are due on October 14, 2019. Carefully review all documents. In order for a student to be accepted into the program, the form MUST be completed and signed by a parent/guardian. All applicants MUST submit the application by the deadline. All applicants MUST provide a letter of recommendation that includes the name of author, position, email address, phone number, and signature.
Notification of Acceptance
Applicants that are accepted into the program will be notified by email.
- All About Town of Normal
- Strategic Planning
- City Budgeting
- Non-Profits in McLean County
- Economic Development Empowerment
- I Am the Community (Civic Engagement
- I Have A Voice - Lobbying 101
- Safety & Security of the Community
- Lobby Day
- Mayor & Council Fireside Chat
- My Future in Municipal Government