Spring and Summer
The Town of Normal does not employ leaf vacuuming crews in the spring or summer. Therefore, leaves raked during the spring yard cleanup are collected as Landscape Waste.
Please note: Open burning of leaves is not permitted at any time within the corporate limits of Normal.
The Town provides residential leaf vacuum collection each fall for approximately 7-8 weeks starting in mid to late October. The program serves to:
- Keep streets clean
- Keep storm water inlets open and pollutants out of streams and rivers
- Reuse the leaves by taking them to ISU’s farm in Lexington for composting
- Save residents the cost and effort to bag or mulch leaves
Leaf Vacuum Collection Dates
Start Date: TBD Fall 2016
End Date: TBD Winter 2016
Daily Fall Update (Monday - Friday)
This area will be updated during vacuum leaf collection season with the current route area (route area = regular garbage day) we are working on. Leaf collection may not occur on your regular garbage route day. See information below for details.
Route area that crews are currently working on: This area will be updated again during the Fall 2016 leaf collection season!
- The crews will follow the same routes as the garbage collection truck; however, they will stay on the route until it is complete. This may take longer than one or two days. Leaf collection may not be on your regular garbage route day and collection will not necessarily be weekly, especially during heavy leaf fall. Equipment malfunctions and bad weather (i.e. heavy rain or snowfall) can also slow down collection. Please be patient.
- Leaves should be raked to the back of the curb on the grass or to the shoulder of the roadway. If you live in an area where cars are continuously parked, place the leaves at the edge of your driveway or as near to the driveway as possible.
- Do not place leaves in the street as they can block storm water inlets, obstruct traffic and hinder street maintenance.
- Brush and other items are not to be placed in the leaf pile. Items other than leaves will cause clogs and possible equipment malfunction because the equipment used is a vacuum type machine which is designed to collect only leaves. Mixed piles will not be collected. Brush should be placed in a separate pile.
- Keep leaf piles no higher than three feet for safety.
- Please keep leaves away from mailboxes, utility poles, guide wires, water valves and other obstructions.
- Alternatively, leaves may be brought to the Town of Normal Landscape Waste Drop off site at 1301 Warriner Street. Drop off is available 24/7.
- Do not place leaves in bags or containers during leaf vacuum season.