The John Gregory House is both the oldest residence and the most scrupulous piece of architectural restoration within the Town of Normal. It is also Normal's finest Italianate-styled structure and one of the best in central Illinois.
In 1857, Alexander Campbell (founder of the Disciples of Christ) sold the property upon which this house is located to his brother-in-law, Edwin W. Bakewell (after whom Bakewell Street in north Normal was named). The home’s high-style architecture was popular in late 1850, Midwest America. Though no actual construction documents exist, the increase in land value from when the property was sold in 1857, and then again in 1870, suggest the construction of the large, expensive residence on old Chicago Road (now Main Street).